Everybody loves pizza. The only thing people love more? Homemade pizza. A fantastic Italian dish, pizza is a guaranteed people pleaser. The customizability of toppings means that there is truly something for everyone. Check out our take on creative pizza toppings. By making it from scratch, you can have control over what goes into your meals. Never mind the preservatives and unreadable ingredients list of traditional boxed pizzas; fresh is always best. Here’s our absolutely favourite homemade pizza recipe:
Preparation: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Homemade pizza dough recipe. Will make two 20-cm (8-inch) thicker crust pizzas or 23-cm (9-inch) thin-crust pizzas, depending on preference.
1 C (250 ml) warm water
1 TSP (5 ml) instant yeast
1 TSP (5 ml) sugar
2 C (500 ml) all-purpose flour
1 TSP (5 ml) salt
Food processor with plastic blade or dough hook
How To Prepare:
- Place water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Let the mixture stand until foam forms on top. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
- With the food processor (see “Tools” above), mix together the flour and salt. Turn the speed up to medium. Slowly add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Let the ingredients blend until a soft, doughy ball forms.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough ball into said bowl and cover the bowl with a clean kitchen cloth.
- Set the bowl in a warm, draft-free area. Allow the dough to rise for approximately 30 minutes. Then, remove the dough and cut it in half.
- You can use the dough right away – or refrigerate it for no more than 48 hours. If you want to freeze it to use at a later date, package it in an airtight bag and place it in the freezer.
- If you intend to cook the dough right away, preheat the oven to 450-degrees.
- Baking time may vary, depending on toppings used, etc., but start with 10-15 minutes and monitor progress from there.
This recipe is tasty and easy to throw together. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, plus the time spent waiting for the dough to rise. Make sure it is allowed to rise in a warm area to ensure the best quality dough. Use this half-hour to grate cheese and wash and slice vegetables for toppings. Not sure what to put on your pizza? Try our suggestions for cool, unique pizza topping items.
A food processor works wonders for this recipe – but if you don’t own one, never fear! You can mold a “well” in the flour/salt mixture and pour the liquid mixture into the center. Gradually add dry ingredients to the pool of liquid ingredients with your fingers, working the dough together gently.
Want a relaxing night out or in, where all the work is done for you? Order in or make a reservation with Pazzo Pazzo and try our Pizza Of The Day. Just want to let us know how much you love homemade pizza? Come visit us on our Facebook page and leave a like or a comment.